Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Killed Two Birds With One Stone

So, by finally watching It's a Wonderful Life, I was able to accomplish two of my list items at once.

Not only was I able to cross of my "I" movie for #30 - Watch a movie I've never seen before starting with each letter of the alphabet, but I also counted it towards #72 - Watch a classic movie I've never seen before.

Cheating? Maybe. But I don't think it is.

It's a classic movie. It even says so on the back. It premiered in 1946, and it was listed as the #1 most inspirational movie of all time by the American Film Institute. And, as I promised, I watched it in black and white instead of the colourized version which my DVD also provided. Everyone knows a movie isn't really a classic unless it's in black and white!


It truly is a heart-warming story. And a perfect reminder at Christmas to be grateful for what we have and enjoy every moment rather than grumbling and feeling down on our luck.

I'll admit it: I cried. I saw a little of myself in George Bailey, especially this year. It's been a difficult year, and I've spent a lot of time wondering what I've done to deserve this hard luck. No, I've never been so woe-is-me as to find myself on a bridge contemplating jumping (but if I were, I'd hope my guardian angel sent to save me was an adorable old man like Clarence Odbody!) However, it is sometimes easier to be brought down by the bad instead of focusing on the good.

Loving family. Great friends. A roof over one's head. The strength to endure the bad days. A job. Food on the table.
And knowing there are people who would be lost without you.

It was a nice reminder at this time of year. And one that I think I needed.

Merry Christmas to everyone :) Looking forward to crossing more off the list over the holidays and in 2011!!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I've started watching this movie twice now and usually do it when I'm tired and I fall asleep :(... but it's on my list to see. And I think it's A-OK in my book to kill 2 birds with one stone (on your list ;)).

Merry Christmas Jill.

Jill said...

HAHA!! Nicole, this comment made me literally laugh out loud - because I finally FINISHED watching it last night...It was the THIRD night I attempted to watch it, the other two nights I fell asleep!! ;) But not because it was boring, I was just sleepy!